Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Who Wears Short Shorts memories

The first time I did Who Wears Short Shorts, in November 2007 I was absolutely terrified. After we were given our topics Blake looked at me and was like "Are you OK? You look kind of ill." I was like "Yeah," and slunk home. I started writing and it was a little slow at first, but the later it got the more right it felt. At 2 am I was like "Hey, this is like an all-nighter, only fun!" I ultimately finished the play and was pretty happy with it.
But later that day at the performance the jitters came flying back. Was my play funny, or did it just seem that way in my caffeine-induced state? People ultimately DID laugh, and my play won "Best use of line" so it worked out.
I love doing the Who Wears Short Shorts festivals because there's such an element of excitement throughout. You literally have no idea what is going to happen. There is no time to plan, you have to go with your gut and not look back! I have never felt so much excitement in the air as when I sat in the audience and watched the plays go up.
I can't wait to stay up all night writing and do it again!!

No comments:

Post a Comment